Essential Things To Know About Plus Size Dress Forms
Today we’re going to talk about a specific type of a dress form: the plus size! We are sure you know some of the basics about the dress forms, also known as dressmaker’s dummies. Although most of the dress forms come in standard sizes, and some of them are adjustable, there is also another type of such dummies, and they are especially created for dressmaker’s who need to create plus size clothing. So whether you wear plus size, or you regularly sew clothing for plus size persons, you may need to think about purchasing a plus size dress form.
Why do you need a plus size dress form?
As with any other type of dress forms, you need to know a few things about the plus size dress forms, prior to making your purchase. So let’s start by acknowledging the reasons why you need one. One of the main reasons is that most of the dress forms come with precise standard measurements, and it is quite difficult to fit your clothing to such models. But now let’s see some of the reasons why you may want to use a dress form:
- You need to use a form for draping, because for this type of pattern, you need to pin and drape the fabric directly into the form. Pay attention, though, as not all the forms can take pins, so you need to get a pinnable form if you want to use it for draping.
- Checking fit. If you sew for your own, it is almost impossible to check fit on yourself. It is very hard to tell how a garment fits from behind. So you need a form to help you check the fit. We suppose you understand that for checking the fit, you need to get a form that is exactly the same size as you. More than just matching the measurements, you also need to pay attention to the proportions, as they also need to match.
- This is also for situations when you do garments for yourself. It is difficult to hem straight because you may have to lean down a lot.
What to look for in a plus size dress form
Before you start searching for a dress form to buy, there are a few things to consider. For example, one of the first things you need to know is what you’re going to use the dress form for. So let’s see some possible characteristics:
- You need to get a pinnable dress form if you want to use it for draping.
- Head, arms and legs. You may need to get them for specific types of garments. However, if you don’t need them, then you can look for a simple dress form, as you may save some money on it.
- Although you need to choose the size, you also need to pay attention to proportions. You definitely don’t need a dress form with a rather bizarre look. Pay attention to the bust and stomach, for example. However, you should consider your needs when you check the proportions of a dress form.
- Especially if you need to sew plus size garments, you need to get an adjustable dress form. Some of them have cogs and wheels that allow you to make the dress form larger or smaller.
- If you want to use the dress form for fitting, you need to get one that is very similar to you in measurement and proportions.
- You may think that the weight of a dress form is not relevant, but it is more important than you think. Some of the dress forms are very heavy, while others are lighter. This is an important aspect if you need to move your dress form frequently.
- As you can imagine, prices differ a lot, depending on other characteristics, such as the quality and features. So think about what you need and what you don’t, to choose one that is the most cost-effective for you.
Words in the end
So if you need to get a plus size dress form
think about the characteristics that are important to you, and try to choose one that matches your measurements, proportions, and fits your specific needs.